Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Call Before You Do it

So this weekend my phone died. LG Connect® I think it is a firmware issue. So a day later I head to the MetroPCS on Santa Rosa Ave. They are awesome, helpful, cheerful and above all knowledgeable. The the young man dances his thumbs across my screen at lightning speed. He says, “weird”. I responded, “you're seeing it too?” How can I get 4G full speed but yet show no bars, cannot text, and cannot make phone calls? Email works, calendar syncs, web browsing works, and even Google Voice works. So he said he'd replace it at no charge (except that $15 transfer fee).

I asked about when can I expect my new one? He replied “about 3 to 5 business days”. They said they would call my son Shayne when it is in. So I excluded MLK day and came up with Thursday or Friday. Today and yesterday I tried to endure without my phone, calling into voice mail like every 5 minutes. Out of desperation I thought it'd be a neat idea to stop at the MetroPCS store and see if it came in. The very nice folks played along and thumbed through pages and click-ity-clicked on the computer. They said, “no Mr. Brown, I'm really sorry it doesn't look like it will be here till Monday.

So I whip out my old, dirty Samsung with the “touch” screen that requires that you practically have to drag your elbow across it to get it to respond. I dial the magic code *228, the activation/transfer code. A nice lady comes on and does everything remotely (even identifies the make, model, and color of my Samsung) Boom! It's done. As I relearn the old user culture from year ago, I start texting and calling people back.

I'm feeling darned good like I defeated fate. Ah that trusty old Samsung. Love ya. Then... Oh look! My son is calling. How in the HECK do I answer? Swerving and cursing I push button after button. FINALLY! “Hello?” Son: Hey dad. MetroPCS just called, your phone is there. Oh for the love of Pete! Back I go with my trusty Samsung and my struggling LG Connect®. “Welcome back, Brian” my customer service representative, smiling with tongue in cheek. So he begins the process of transferring the services to the new replacement LG. He's ready start the phone programming and says, “that'll be $18 please”. I think to myself “hmm not bad” I reach for my wallet and... uh oh... It's gone! With my finger up I say, “wait right there, I'll be back” I ran out the door leaving the old phone behind while clutching that ol' trusty Samsung. When I realize I don't have my wallet in the car, I start to speed towards home. Thinking it would make sense to call ahead I dial vigorously and press that old Samsung against my ear. Three musical notes and an announcement, “this phone is not authorized to make calls. Please call your MetroPCS representative for assistance” The diligent MetroPCS representative had already ported over the number and I'm back where I began. No phone. Needless to say I recovered my wallet and returned to pay the transfer fee. All is well. I have my new replacement phone! Sigh.

In a nutshell: 35 miles, two and a half hours, and one unnecessary transfer fee.

But you know what? I've got my cool phone back!

No comments:

Post a Comment